Get involved by becoming a FIAT instructor!
The Foundations of Intelligence Analyst Training (FIAT) program is accepting applications for new instructors to deliver the benchmark training program of IALEIA and LEIU. Candidates will receive training at an Instructor Development Class (IDP) in Sacramento, CA June 25-28, 2018. Accepted applicants that exceed our training capacity will be trained during an actual FIAT class in the future by an experienced qualified FIAT instructor. Due to the high demand we are experiencing for classes, we are looking for additional instructors so we may meet the needs of agencies requesting training. At this time, we are only accepting applications from analysts in North America.
FIAT instruction is on a purely volunteer basis. Travel and related expenses for the training classes and FIATs will be reimbursed by FIAT. Many instructors are rewarded by their home agencies to travel with paid leave to contribute and share their expertise with other analysts. The shared experience is two-way. The contributing agency is investing in their analyst and helping them to grow into a recognized subject matter expert as well as networking with new contacts.
- A member in good standing for one year or more with IALEIA or LEIU
- Employed in private sector as a security analyst (retail loss, security specialist in banking, credit cards) law enforcement intelligence analyst, military intelligence analyst for a minimum of five years
- Able to pass a security clearance to enter host agency locations i.e. criminal records check, clean driver’s abstract in order to rent vehicles
- Documentation on agency letterhead stating that your immediate supervisor has supported your request and will support your commitment to volunteer teach one class a year for IALEIA/LEIU
- Applicants with prior teaching experience with adults and/or delivery of their agency/employer training will be given preference and should be documented by the immediate supervisor. Complete the online application available at either: www.ialeia.org or www.leiu.org
Include your resume and provide your supervisor’s comments on agency letterhead that you meet the basic requirements--detailing additional training skills.
All requested applications must be scanned as a PDF and sent to the attention of: FIAT Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be evaluated and ranked by the FIAT Steering Committee. All applications must be received by March 31, 2018.
The Subject Line: IDP Application (your name)
- Scan 1 – completed application (click to download a copy)
- Scan 2 – agency letterhead and supervisory permission and contact information
- Scan 3 – resume
- Scan 4 – supporting documents i.e. previous student of a FIAT course, educational documentation, and commendations letters for previous investigations
We look forward to meeting individuals interested in investing in their future and willing to help new analysts as they begin their career.
The Instructor Team
Instructors for the FIAT program are practicing analysts within law enforcement or investigative organizations throughout the world. All Instructors are volunteers and are ‘loaned’ to teach a FIAT course by their respective home agency/organization. They do not receive payment or honorariums for teaching courses. They volunteer because of their commitment to mentoring new colleagues and dedication to helping advance our profession!
All FIAT Instructors are:
- Certified by the FIAT Instructor Development Program (IDP)
- Have worked at least 5 years in intelligence, crime and/or law enforcement analysis (or related fields)
- Posses proven presentation and teaching skills
- Are active IALEIA members
Instructors for specific FIAT classes will be chosen based on their experience, areas of expertise, and geographic proximity to the training sites.
Instructor Development Program - IDP
The mission of the IALEIA/LEIU FIAT Instructor Development Program (IDP) is to provide qualified and informed instructors for the classes and to support the development of those instructors.
The IDP is administered by the IALEIA/LEIU FIAT Program Coordinators. They will be scheduled as determined by need. FIAT instructor refresher training is held at each annual IALEIA/LEIU training conference.